« Home | Quality vs Quantity Of Earning » | The $5 A Day Project » 

Saturday, May 20, 2006 

Examine Yourself To Understand Your Money Making Opportunities

I set out to start this project without using any money that I've already earned. I can only reinvest what's been earned from this project. My intention is to show that it doesn't necessarily take money to make money (although it helps). All you need is a good idea, or in our case 52 good ones.

Starting with no money, doesn't necessarily mean starting without any resources. So the first thing I did was consider what I had to offer. Like most people trying to make it rich on the Internet, I'm technology minded. I've been a hobbyist web designer for about 8 years. I also have experience as a Windows systems administrator (web servers, not desktop support), and am about to start a new job as a C# programmer.

After designing website for 8 years, of course I've still got a few out there: a web hosting company that has about 5 customers (I've never taken the time to finish the site or market it), a programming tutorial site (this is growing, but only makes about $12 a month, it really needs some good content for it to take off), some customer sites (don't know how I can use them since they've already paid), and now this blog. The beauty of a website or blog is that once you write something, you almost never have to revisit it. The page is out there, attracting interested readers, night and day, for as long as the site exist.

The point is that everyone has things they do well. My girlfriend is a photographer, and could easily write great articles on photography, cameras, and digital techniques. I'm a programmer and computer nerd, I've got a MIS degree so I know a thing or two about business. A hobo could write about all the thing they've seen on the road, and as long as they can write a coherent sentence, it might be the most intriguing read of them all. Take a minute to thing about what you know and what you can offer the world. After you've done that, consider things you don't know but would like to. As you learn, so will your readers.